We are pleased to announce that Open School Week is scheduled for November 17th to November 21st by the New York City Department of Education. This is the time to reinforce parent-school relationships that will lead to a dynamic partnership necessary to ensure the educational success of each student. Parent Teacher conferences are scheduled for Thursday, November 13 for grades K-5. This will be a half-day for all students. Students will be dismissed at 11:25 am. Conferences will be scheduled on Thursday afternoon from 12:30 pm to 3:00pm and from 4:30 pm to 7:30pm. Conference appointment times are for ten minutes only, so it is imperative that you be on time. You will be contacted by your child’s classroom teacher to set up an appointment.
Dear Lower Lab
- The Middle School Talk – Overview for 5th grade families is tomorrow at 8:15 in the Cafeteria. Don’t forget your pass!!!!
- Reminder that Friday is Picture Day! Dress for Success! (All order envelopes should be in by this point. ) FYI All students will be photographed even if you did not pay for a package. We have an arrangement with Irvin Simon to create thumbnail photos of the students for our emergency cards. (Please share with your child that photos will be taken regardless of orders being processed.)
- Friday Book Club Morning! If you signed up for this workshop, please meet Mr. Goldspiel in the cafeteria at 8:30-9:30. No lottery was needed! All families who signed up are welcome.
- If you emailed Gina and are available to volunteer during picture day. We need your help! Please meet her in the auditorium between 8:00-8:15 AM for instructions.
- The class group photos schedule has changed slightly. See Below.
8:15 – 8:20 AM Teachers & Specialists
- 8:35 – 8:45 AM Allison Haimeck 2-203
- 8:25 – 8:35 AM Kristin Broderick 1-103
- 8:45 – 8:55 AM Liz Furey K-106
- 8:55 – 9:05 AM Sarah Moran K-101
- 9:25 – 9:35 AM Robyn Millman 3-208
- 9:15 – 9:25 AM Justin Connors 1-141
- 9:05 – 9:15 AM Donna Seferian 2-206
- 9:35 – 9:45 AM Karen Cook 5-220
- 9:45 – 9:55 AM Claudia Coia 5-218
- 9:55 – 10:05 AM Laura King 3-205
- 10:05 – 10:15 AM Rachel Sugarman 4- 243
- 10:15 – 10:25 AM Robin Courtwright 4-245
Deadline for advance ticket orders is Wednesday, October 22nd.
Purchase your raffle tickets – a chance to win a prize worth over $400!!!! Click here for raffle tickets.
MOST IMPORTANTLY, the planning committee is still in need of volunteers! In particular, they are looking for volunteers for one hour shifts to run the crafts/games stations as well as 3 enthusiastic JUDGES for our Costume Contest.
PLEASE DONATE YOUR TIME!!!! IT’S FOR OUR CHILDREN!!!
Volunteers are needed to help sort books, help the children choose books, work as cashiers and police the Book Fair hallway (unfortunately we had some books “walk away”). Even an hour will help and it’s a great way to support Lower Lab! If you would like to volunteer as a cashier, please sign up for at least a 2-hour shift. We need 2 people at the check out table at all times.
See Flyer Book Fair Volunteer Request
2014 PARENT CONFERENCES
NOVEMBER 1, 15 and DECEMBER 6
8 AM to 1 PM
Tweed Courthouse • 52 Chambers Street • NY, NY 10007
Free Breakfast • Free Childcare ages 5+ • On-Site Interpretation
Keynote address by Chancellor Carmen Fariña
Dear Public School Parent,
Chancellor Carmen Fariña opens the doors of Tweed Courthouse and invites you to attend the Fall 2014 Parent Conferences. These free, grade specific and informative events were created to support parents and to help them have an impact on their child’s education, both in school and at home.
There will be free breakfast, free childcare (for kids 5 and older) and plenty of giveaways, including free books. Plus, the Bronx Children’s Museum will have their wonderful interactive mobile exhibit that teaches kids about the Harlem River and The Bronx River.
These conferences will fill up fast, so act quickly while seats are still available!
- The IEP Process Step by Step
- Bullying – What to Look For, What to Know, What to Say
- Activities You Can Do at Home with Your Pre-K Child
- Help Your Teen Organize and Prioritize
- Managing Teen Stress
- Get the Most Out of Parent-Teacher Conferences
- Calling All Parents – How to Organize and Advocate for Yourself and Your Child
- Reading with Your Children
- Getting the Most from Museum Visits
- Bilingual Education for Elementary School Students
- College for English Language Learners
And much, much more..
Click here for complete information, including translated flyers.
I hope to see you there.
Division of Family and Community Engagement
Please find our tentative schedule for PHOTO DAY. If you have signed up to volunteer we greatly appreciate your help. If you are still able to assist please let Gina Goodman know via email email@example.com. We could use a few more families to assist!
- 8:15 – 8:20 AM Staff Photo
- 8:25 – 8:35 AM 1-103
- 8:35 – 8:45 AM 1-141
- 8:45 – 8:55 AM K-106
- 8:55 – 9:05 AM K-101
- 9:05 – 9:15 AM 2-206
- 9:15 – 9:25 AM 2-203
- 9:25 – 9:35 AM 3-208
- 9:35 – 9:45 AM 5-220
- 9:45 – 9:55 AM 5-218
- 9:55 -10:05 AM 3-205
- 10:05-10:15 AM 4- 243
- 10:15 -10:25 AM 4-245
Beginning on Wednesday, October 15th Peer Mediators will be available in the cafeteria from 10:30am to 10:55am (during the lower grade lunch period) on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. When necessary, our trained fourth and fifth grade Peer Mediators will conduct mediations, at a designated-table in the cafeteria, with students in grades K-2nd who are experiencing a conflict.
Student Council Representatives
CLASS REPRESENTATIVE ALTERNATE
Sarah K-101 Liam Griffin Charlotte Lamb
Liz K-106 Arjun Vora Lily Johnston
Kristin 1-103 Eli Lindenbaum Maya Nozaki
Justin 1-141 Emily Do Zac Matasar
Ms. Haimeck 2-203 Violet Plotko Andrew Mautner
Donna 2-206 Daniel Schoenwald Mira Iyer
Laura 3-205 Sheldon Liu Joelle Kim
Robyn 3-208 Olivia Polsky Yashna Patel
Ms. Sugarman 4-243 Leila McKiernan Anna Stein
Ms. Courtwright 4-245 Loren Sawyer Ania Ting
Claudia 5-218 Brandon Rich Jack Guthrie
Ms. Cook 5-220 Hope Cook Kayla Bonilla