Hi K-101 Families!
It has been a wonderful start to the school year. We have been getting to know each other and working on establishing some classroom routines and procedures. It is so exciting to be a Kindergartner and we have an amazing class! I want to tell you a little bit about some of the things we have been up to so far…
We are in our first unit of reading! Some of the reading strategies we have learned so far include:
- Reading a book cover-to-cover
- Front to back
- Top to bottom
- Left to right
- We can learn from pictures and words
- Good Readers Re-read:
- Cover to cover (first page, then the next, and the next…until the end)
- To slow down (we don’t rush or skip pages)
- To notice more and learn new things
- To say more (share what we learned the first time we read plus what we learned after re-reading)
- To understand that all pages of a book go together (begin to see sequence)
- To notice more words and think about what they say
We are in our first unit of writing! Some of the writing strategies we have learned so far include:
- Putting ideas onto paper
- Picture a topic we want to write about and put all the details onto paper
- Creating a narrative story
- Drawing and writing about true events
- Going back and adding more pages
- Carrying on as independent writers
- Solving our own problems
- Writing words by saying it slowly and writing the first sound they hear
As part of our daily morning routine, the children are enjoying our Calendar Math work. This includes components of recognizing numbers, counting how many days we have been in school, and grouping by tens (place value). In addition, we are counting by ones and counting forward beginning from a given number within the known sequence. We are also exploring math manipulatives (unifix cubes, geoblocks, and pattern tiles), counting objects and identifying whether the number of objects in one group is greater than, less than, or equal to the number of objects in another group.
In addition to all of the academics, K-101 has also spent a lot of time working on social and emotional development. During this month, we are learning about respect and following classroom rules. We are learning about saying please, thank you, keeping our hands to ourselves, waiting our turns, listening and following directions. Please see our classroom promises below:
- We will be respectful to everyone and everything
- We will listen with our whole body
- We will always try our best!
Other Notes of Importance
- Mystery Reader: Every Wednesday from 8:30-9:00am, starting October 19th. Parents can read their child’s favorite story or their own favorite story from childhood…as long as the book is kindergarten-friendly 🙂 Please keep an eye out for an email from our class parent regarding this (please make sure to include the title of the book you are planning to bring and read)
- Publishing Party: The students will be super excited to share their first story with you at our upcoming publishing party on Monday, October 31st at 8:30-9:15am. A pass for your entrance will be coming home soon. Make sure to check your child’s red folder!