Info on Gifted & Talented
All students who will be entering kindergarten through third grade for the 2018-2019 school year can sign up to test for G&T programs. Get ready by taking these next steps:
- Read the 2018 Gifted & Talented Handbook: Learn about G&T Admissions, find programs that interest you, and prepare for the G&T test with practice problems.
- Attend an Elementary Admissions Event in October: Come to an event in your district to learn about G&T and Elementary Admissions.
- Mark your calendar: Plan to sign up to take the G&T test starting in early October.
Families who have a student entering kindergarten for the 2018-2019 school year should also know about Kindergarten Admissions and those school options.
If seats become available in G&T programs for the 2017-2018 school year, schools will continue to make offers through mid-October to students already on their waitlists.
If you just moved to New York City and are not yet enrolled in a school for the 2017-2018 school year, learn how to enroll on the New Students page.
Open doors for your child’s education—sign up for the Gifted & Talented (G&T) test! All NYC residents in pre-K through 2nd grade can take the test.
For your child to take the test, submit the Request for Testing (RFT) form by Monday, November 13 one of two ways:
- Online on our application site
- In person
- At your child’s current public school
- At a Family Welcome Center
Gifted &Talented: Admissions Guidelines, Handbooks, and Request for Testing
Gifted & Talented (G&T) Handbooks
You can view and download digital versions of the G&T handbooks here. For more information, review the G&T Admissions Guidelines, which provide an overview of G&T admissions and highlights key dates and actions for schools.
G&T Request for Testing (RFT): The G&T Request for Testing (RFT) period will open in early October; the deadline for submission is November 13. Families can submit a paper copy of the RFT at their school or at a Family Welcome Center, or submit the RFT online.
Get ready for Gifted & Talented (G&T) Admissions this fall! Students entering kindergarten through third grade can participate in G&T Admissions and their families can prepare by taking these three steps:
- Read the NYC Gifted & Talented Handbook: Learn about G&T Admissions, find programs that interest you, and prepare for the G&T test with practice problems.
- Go to an Elementary Admissions Event in October: Learn about Pre-K, Kindergarten, and Gifted & Talented Admissions in one night and make one plan for how to apply.
- Mark your calendar: Plan to sign up to take the G&T test starting in early October. Look for a follow up email about when and how to sign up for the test.
The G&T Admissions Team
P.S. Sign up for Kindergarten email updates to get the latest info about applying to kindergarten if your child was born in 2013.
Lower Lab Open House Tours
Families who receive a qualifying Gifted & Talented letter in the Spring, from the NYCDOE, are offered the opportunity to tour our facilities, attend a short presentation with the Administration, Staff, and PTA representatives, and view our documentary, A Day in the Life of a Lower Lab Student.
- ONLY families who receive a qualifying letter from the NYCDOE will be able to tour PS 77 due to limited space during the Spring
- 50 Kindergarten seats will be available for the 2018-2019 school year
- Seats for grades 1-3 are determined once vacancies are announced in late May
- Grades 1-3 families are welcome to tour if they qualify for Talented and Gifted admissions