Find out how you can help us help Lower Lab!
The easiest way to support Lower Lab School — start your online shopping at the Lower Lab School’s website, choose from your favorite brands and merchants and the Lower Lab School PTA will earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you!
PTA Run “Fun” and Fundraisers
In order to ensure that we can provide our school with expanded programs and activities, we do a lot of fundraising. It is extremely important to have as much parent participation as possible. You can give a few hours, a few days or a few months at a time—every minute is helpful. You will receive a separate list of various fundraisers that are held throughout the year. Also check on the website for any updates.
- Auction — The school’s annual spring auction is the largest social fundraiser of the year. It’s an “adults only” night of fun, food and bidding on the donated goods and services that Lab parents have solicited from all over the city. This is our biggest fundraiser traditionally takes place in the spring. Not only is it a chance to socialize with other parents, teachers and school staff, but to make money from the items and services that have been solicited and donated by parents like you. Each Lab family is encouraged to solicit at least two donations for this event. This fundraiser requires many parents to participate and volunteer their time, energy and creativity.
- Book Fair — Each spring and fall, the Lower Lab hosts an in school book fair that coincides with the parent/teacher conferences. The school sells books over two days both to raise money and to create a way for parents to buy books for the classroom libraries. The chairperson of this event works with the vendors, publicizes the event, and organizes a group of 20-25 parent volunteers to help set up and staff the fair
- Fall Fair / Spring Fling– One weekend day each Fall and Spring, the school yard and adjacent street become a carnival of games, rides, activities, entertainment, food and vendors. It is our school tradition to have fall fair festival in the large school yard on a designated weekend. The school yards turns into a carnival of games, rides, entertainment, food and vendors.
- Family Photo Day — in the fall the PTA sponsors a family photo day. A photographer comes to the school to take that long overdue family photo.
- Gift Wrap — In September, parents are sent home materials to sell gift wrap. For this fundraiser, parents and students typically sell at home and work, to friends, relatives, neighbors and business associates.
- Online Shopping – On the Lower Lab website, we have established a shopping network with popular online stores, such as Barnes and Noble, Target, Bluefly.com, The Gap and many more. Every time you shop online a cash portion of your purchases goes to the school. Before you sit down and shop….log on to our school website!
- Box Tops for Education: There are money household products that we purchase daily that participate in this program. Just cut out the little “Box Tops for Education” stamp on the box or wrapper. The more we collect, the more money the school raises. If you have a connection with a corporation that buys products with these stamps on them, please see if you can work out a system of collecting them.
- Halloween Party — Each year the PTA has a Halloween Party! Volunteers are needed to plan and implement the party each year.
- Summer Read-a-Thon — Lab students read all summer long, and a medal ceremony each Fall rewards our young readers. Many students choose to collect pledges for their reading effort to raise money for our school! The Read-A-Thon promotes reading, and allows our students to take part in giving back.
- Pledge Drive — Every year, each family is asked to make a voluntary contribution to the PTA. This money makes up the largest piece of the PTA’s budget. The PTA aims for 100 percent participation of our families, regardless of the amount of the contribution. This is our main sources of PTA funds. While no family is required to pledge funds, our goal is 100% participation. Lower Lab family may make a contribution of any amount. These funds sustain our school enrichments programs and teacher assistants.
- Variety Show — Each spring, parent volunteers coordinate a talent show for those students who wish to participate. The performance takes place on a weekday evening in front of an audience of fellow students, families, friends and invited guests.
- Valentine’s Dance – Each year the PTA has a Valentine’s Dance Party! Volunteers are needed to plan and implement the party each year.
- International Night
- Ice Skating Party
Project Cicero is a not-for-profit partnership of more than ninety New York City Independent, Parochial and Public Schools, The New York Society Library, Children for Children Foundation, Vornado Realty Trust, and the New YOrk Post, in association with The New York City Teaching Fellows and Teach for America New York. Project Cicero is proud to be doing its part to protect the environment through its reuse activities and is delighted to be included in the New York City Materials Exchange Development Program’s inaugural reuse study,
Monday, March 7, 2016 through Thursday, March 9, 2016
Please help stock under-resourced libraries in New York City schools. PROJECT CICERO collects new and gently used books for children and young adults. Books should be in new or excellent condition. They need early readers through teenage fiction and all non-fiction (including reference books, biographies, science and math), both hardcover and paperback. Picture books are welcome. Reference materials should not be more than five years old. Note: PROJECT CICERO does not accept discards from school libraries, textbooks or books for adults.
Donated books will be given to teachers to build their classroom libraries. Your books can help a child discover the joy of reading – what a wonderful way to reuse books your children are no longer reading!
This is Lower Lab’s third year of participation and we hope our families will again support this labor of love. If you would like more information about this event or to read thank you letters from the children and teachers who have benefited from this program, please visit www.projectcicero.org.
MABEL’S LABELS PTA FUNDRAISER
Mabel’s Labels, your favorite label brand, is partnering with Lower Lab for an exciting new fundraiser! When you order your Mabel’s labels by Oct 30, 22% of the proceeds will be donated to Lower Lab!! So stock up on labels for everything that kids love to lose, from water bottles to clothing, backpacks and lunch boxes, perfect for school and camp. Remember to tell your family and friends, the more you order, the more goes to our school.