Parents at Lower Lab have the opportunity to volunteer during lunch and recess. This is an excellent way to get involved with your child’s school. If you are interested in getting involved with this program, please contact Jane Kim – email@example.com.
Guidelines for Lunch/Recess Volunteers 2015-2016
- ALL VOLUNTEERS MUST SIGN-IN WITH THE SCHOOL BEFORE REPORTING FOR RECESS OR LUNCH .
K-2 Recess begins at 10:05am followed by lunch from 10:30-10:55am.
The 3rd-5th grade Recess begins at 11am, followed by lunch from 11:25am to 11:50am.
Volunteers for Kindergarten should go directly to the K yard at 10:05am.
Volunteers for Grades 1 & 2 should meet their classes in the Main Yard at 10:05am.
Volunteers for Grades 3-5 should come to the Main Yard at 11am.
- Responsibilities in the lunchroom include: helping children remain focused on eating, maintaining an appropriate voice-level and making sure children clean up their area (themselves) when finished. Volunteers may be asked to assist in any other ways the school staff may need, including monitoring the bathroom area (by the cafeteria), serving the salad at the salad bar and supervising the water station.
- While on the recess yard, parent volunteers are responsible for addressing any unsafe play, including preventing games that involve tackling, pulling on clothing, using playground equipment incorrectly or dangerously; e.g. using jump ropes, hula-hoops to pull each other by the waist, climbing up fences, or picking up and throwing any object that is not intended for play (i.e. rocks, sticks, etc). If unsafe behavior is observed, parent volunteers should step-in immediately and/or notify a school staff member. If it is deemed necessary, a staff member, not a parent, may discipline children appropriately (e.g. time-out).
- During inclement weather, parent-volunteers are needed as the children may be sent to the gymnasium or to their classrooms for in-door recess.
- If parent volunteers observe verbal conflicts between students, they should encourage the students involved to seek the assistance of school staff members or Peer Mediators (4th and 5th grade students who have been especially trained in Conflict Resolution)
- While on duty, parent volunteers may be asked (by school staff) to escort children to the bathroom. Please note that adults may not enter the students’ bathrooms at any time. Children may either visit the bathrooms in pairs or with an adult who waits outside the door.
- Please note that minor scrapes and injuries are handled in the Main Office where ice and/or band-aids are provided as needed. Parent volunteers may accompany students to the Main Office to receive these first aid items. In the event of a serious injury, Teacher Assistants are to escort students to the Nurse’s Office.
- As a lunch/recess volunteer, your responsibility is to support with the supervision and safety of all students in your child’s grade; this is not a time to catch up or socialize with your own child, their friends, or other parent volunteers.
- Please refrain from behaviors that will distract from supervising the children at play, such as cell phone usage, photography or excessive chatting with other volunteers.
- Parent volunteers may not bring other children/babies along while on duty.
- Parent volunteers are discouraged from sharing information with other parents regarding lunch time or recess behaviors of other students. This is strictly the responsibility of the school staff.
- For security reasons, only parents or legal guardians may volunteer for lunch/recess duty.
- If you are unable to make it to your assigned lunch/recess day, it is your responsibility to find a replacement from the list of existing volunteers.
Thank you for offering to be a lunch/recess volunteer. Your help is greatly appreciated